Sunday 6 May 2018

Episode 97 - Yesterday Today

Although you’re reading this blog on, well, today, I actually wrote this on Wednesday. I did this because I knew something unthinkable was going to happen… I was going to spend the rest of the week somewhere without internet connection! How is this possible in this day and age? Is it even possible to exist without a connection to the internet? Did I survive? I don’t know. I thinks it’s safe to assume I did though. I am of course being intentionally over dramatic as this is something which is a semi-regular occurrence in my life and to tell the truth I actually find it quite refreshing. I’m more impressed that I was organised enough to remember to write this before I left!
It feels oddly strange writing a weekly blog after only half of the week has passed. I feel a little bit like a fraud, pretending to be somewhere in time that I’m not. Acting as though I would know things that I can’t possibly know. Anything could have happened between today and well, today. Look, I can’t even keep my perspective on time straight! Is today when I wrote it, or when you’re reading it? It’s all very confusing!
Although it’s not something I often think about, this only increases my respect for the writers of the Bible. The Bible was written hundreds and hundreds of years ago and is still as relevant today as it was then, and yet here am I struggling to write something only five days in advance! It’s good for me to remember as I read the Bible that it was written so long ago, as this helps me understand the real message being spoken outside the context of the time and place in history in which it was written. Understanding what it meant when it was written helps me to understand what it means now. Still it amazes me that something written hundreds of years ago can still have something valuable to say to me now.
I guess there are two reasons for this. The first is that people are people. Although our cultures may change, although we may have different technology and different daily experiences, people are still people. What it means to be human has never changed. You could completely change everything external to us, but still fundamentally we would be the same. The second is that although the Bible was written by men, its words were inspired by God. That is to say that the message carried by the Bible (sometimes clothed in another culture) are the very words of God. And God doesn’t see time the way we do.
You see, whilst I struggle to imagine what the world might look like three days from now, God already knows. He’s always known exactly what will happen in the next three days because He’s always known everything that will ever happen. The really crazy thing about God’s view of the progress of time, is that not only does God already know everything that will ever happen, but He doesn’t see life as a chronological exercise that starts at the beginning and finishes at the end like we do. To God time is based on the stories of the lives of those of us who exist within it rather than the hands of a watch. Although He works everything together perfectly at the right time, time is the servant not the master. At one point the Bible says that God is not slow as we understand it, but rather He is patient with us so that we might come to understand Him. What an amazing God That He not only knows everything, but knows everyone, and that He not only knows all we need to know but is patient with us that we might be able to understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment