Wednesday 1 July 2015

Episode 7 - In the Middle of Nowhere




#pngretold - retelling the events of exactly two weeks ago

What a busy day! I spent the first part of the morning installing a fan and a light fitting into one of the CRMF properties before heading to the local eye clinic (run by CBM) and the hospital. We have quite close links with the eye clinic and I was shown their equipment that I might be asked to fix in the future, as well as an old steriliser that we had fixed, a new steriliser that we had helped to source, and a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) that we had installed. The later had made a massive impact on the eye clinic as power cuts are prevalent in Goroka When these occurred during eye surgery, they would have to stop and wait for someone to turn on the generator before being able to carry on. Now the UPS keeps the power on long enough to finish surgery before the generator needs to be turned on.The hospital has very limited technical support and much of their equipment is donated without spares. As a consequence, often when equipment breaks, it doesn’t get fixed and there is no replacement. CRMF often gets called to help, but with limited staff numbers and experience, we are too often not able to. However, they have heard that a new member of staff who used to work in a hospital is joining the team (that’s me), so they’ve been keeping all their broken equipment in a spare room!

Just for me!

In the afternoon, Lukas had arranged for me to tag along on a MAF flight to a remote village. The pilots (Holger and Brent) were very friendly and even gave me headset to hear what they were saying, messages to the control tower and all! Apparently over speeding on this particular runway is common because the consequences of falling short can be catastrophic. I can’t help feeling that that comment was just for my benefit. We arrived in Owena (visible on google earth). It can take three days from Goroka if using public transport (one day of that is a hike through the mountains to the nearest road), but it only take twenty five minutes by plane. Owena is beautiful.  The very definition of unspoilt natural beauty. Stepping out of the plane my first reaction was that I couldn’t believe that we had just landed a plane on that tiny flat patch of ground. It was only later when talking to Brent that it occurred to me that the small village of maybe 100 people had dug that airstrip out of the side of the mountain by themselves using only spades and digging sticks! And they finished it in a year!

Yes, that is the airstrip

Brent walked through the village with me, it was so helpful to have him with me to explain what I was seeing and to help me understand the culture. When we got to the middle of the village, everyone was sat around in a big circle with four men in the middle. They were holding a court case. For attempted murder. And they were deciding… how much compensation was due! Brent told me that the thinking here was very different to that in the western world, but that he had never come across a situation that when he took the time to think about it, he couldn’t understand how they came to that way of thinking. When I got back to Goroka in a short 25 minutes, I couldn’t help thinking how different the two places are. Both hold true authentic PNG experiences, but they truly are worlds apart. CRMF do radio installations in villages like Owena to connect them to the wider world to make arrangements and to call for help in emergencies. David (a CRMF technician) was telling me that you get dropped off by plane with nothing but your tool box and the hope that you’ve brought everything that you need. They give you a day that they will come back, but not a time. When they day comes you just sit, wait, and hope that the plane will come and the weather will hold!

Village court

No comments:

Post a Comment