Monday 29 June 2015

Episode 5 - Clarity


#pngretold - retelling the events of exactly two weeks ago

After I woke up last night from my nap, I sat down, closed my eyes, and talked to God. I told Him all that I was thinking and all that I was worried about. And I felt a peace inside of me. All of it was still there, but it no longer seemed overwhelming. It no longer too much, because this feeling inside was telling me that I wasn’t doing it alone, nor in my own strength. And so with this new found peace, I went next door to Lukas and Mahala’s house for the nicest homemade pizza that I have ever eaten. Jael (their five year old daughter) challenged me to a game of “where’s Noah” (the same as where’s Wally only with, well, Noah). She beat me. Badly. But I do have a sneaky suspicion that she may have read the book before, given her uncanny ability to know where Noah was even before she has turned the page. Over the course of the evening we talked about everything and nothing, and somehow, by the end of it we had dealt with almost everything that I had been worried about. Then this morning over breakfast I met John for the first time, and instead of it being awkward talking to a stranger when only half awake, it was really comfortable, like we had known each other for a long time already (except without knowing anything about each other) and without trying, any worries that had been left remaining were finished off. I should at this point explain that John and Wanson are volunteering with CRMF for a year and I am staying in their house, only they had been on holiday and only got back late last night.

The daily comute


We walked to work and started the day the same way they do every day: with morning devotion. This involves singing worship songs (some of them in Tok Pisin), praying together and reading the bible together. It’s a great way to start the day and a great way to get to know the guys I’ll be working with. By the end of the session I already felt a great heart for the guys and felt like I belonged here.

My new work bench?


I was given a tour of the building and formally met all of the staff – so many names to remember! But they are all really lovely! I was pleasantly surprised by the equipment too, although I did have low expectations… All the equipment you could want is there, it’s all older than me, but that just makes it experienced right? They even have a water sensor in the sink to alert you to when large water bottles have been filled up because it takes so long!

Electronics makes everything better


Mahala took me into Goroka to see the shops and the market. At first glance it just looks like absolute chaos! All these bright colours, and so many people all milling about. Once you brace yourself and step into it however, it all seems to make sense. Each seller only sells one type of produce and they write the price on a piece of cardboard, so you know that they’re not going to rip you off unlike some countries that I’ve been to. I think that I actually prefer it to supermarkets!

The local supermarket


In the afternoon Lukas took me around Goroka to give me a feel for the town. I think he managed to get me into every establishment in the whole of Goroka; the MAF base, the sports centre, the boss’s house, the steak house, the university, and I’m sure many places that I’ve forgotten! Whenever a security guard asked why we wanted to go in, Lukas would just point to me and offer that I was from England, which oddly always seemed to be reason enough!


Soon to be my new home


We went up an old beaten track that not only went up steeply, but that also had huge potholes which seemed bent on throwing us off the side of the hill. Fortunately, Lukas is quite the rally driver! Once at the top, the views of Goroka made it all worthwhile and did a good job of putting everywhere into perspective. Looking back, I can barely believe that I’ve only been here two days! Who knows what the next four will have in store for me!..

No comments:

Post a Comment