Saturday 27 June 2015

Episode 2 - All change at Changi

#pngretold - retelling the events of exactly two weeks ago 


Singapore didn't go as planned. I had 13 hours until my next flight, so I planned to go into the city and have a look around. Unfortunately, because my next flight was with a different airline, I had to pick-up my boarding pass from the transfer desk before I could leave the airport, but they wouldn't give me the boarding pass until four hours before my flight, so that put an end to that. I'm certain that it was for the best though as I hadn't slept for 24 hours up to that point and I then managed to get six hours sleep over a few stints. I'm still a little worried about spending the whole day with Lukas today, as I want to make a good first impression, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to do that wearing a brain that can't think straight! 6 hours sleep in 39 up to this point is not what I'm used! It's only seven in the morning, and I have the whole rest of the day to go! 

 
Ready for take off...

Singapore might not have been quite what I had planned, but it has to be said that there can't be many airports in the world, that are better to be stuck in for thirteen hours than Changi. It has near horizontal chairs for sleeping, phone charging points at every table, a swimming pool on the roof; a free cinema, and of course, no airport is complete without it's own butterfly house! Conversely to English butterfly houses, it's the butterflies that are kept outside and the humans that are kept in a climate controlled environment! I had to put my jumper on to go back inside! So I eventually made it out of Singapore and a little under seven hours later into PNG (Port Moresby) for the first time. It's dark at the moment, so I can't see too much. Some of the neighbourhoods looked more like camp-sites as we came in to land, with no street lights, only the house lights dimly glimmering through the trees. The people here are very friendly. As I walked the short distance to the domestic airport, one guy ran over to me in a mild panic asking me where I came from and where I was going with a worried expression on his face as if to say, “you're not supposed to be here!”. I was. And I have even now found my way to the departures lounge to await the next leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment