Sunday 10 September 2017

Episode 76 - Acheivement


This week (after months of working on it) I finally submitted my tax return. This is a huge achievement and something that felt very satisfying. Normally of course this wouldn’t be the case. However with being able to do less your goals become less too. The curious thing is that the sense of achievement remains the same. On one hand, this seems quite logical; whilst the task is smaller the difficulty is greater and so the same amount of work needs to be done – it makes sense. But when you look into this further it has a strange implication; the satisfaction gained from accomplishing something is dependent upon how difficult it is to achieve. Whilst I seem bound by these rules, I don’t understand why. It’s incredibly difficult to balance three balls on your nose, yet relatively simple to help out at a soup kitchen once a week – surely I should gain more satisfaction from the later than the former, and yet in truth, would I? Honestly I don’t know. The only conclusion I can draw is that subconsciously I’ve been looking at achievement all wrong and so from now on I’ll try to stop looking at how hard what I do is to achieve and look at how much what I do achieves instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment