Sunday 20 November 2016

Episode 34: Badly Drawn Boy


I am a geek. There are many ways in which I am a geek, but today I would like to focus my attention on one particular reason; I love flags. I don’t really know why, I just always have. I have shared with many people the story behind Papua New Guinea's flag, a story which I love, but there are many more flags in Papua New Guinea. There are 21 provinces in Papua New Guinea and each province has its own flag. I live in Goroka in the East Highlands Province and I have often looked at our flag. It has a green and red background and in the foreground it has a large yellow six pointed star surrounded by eight smaller ones. The number of points represents the districts and the number of smaller stars represent the local government councils. But one thing has always puzzled me when I’ve looked at the flag. In the centre of the star in the centre of the every East Highlands Province flag that I have ever seen is the same funny looking man.

The East Highland Province Flag
Or at least that’s what I had always thought he was. Now what was funny about him was that he was always missing one arm and one leg, like the artist only got half way through and ran out of time. But I recently found out that this was no accident, for this was no man, this was Nokondi. Nokondi is to all intents and purposes a man, but everything that a normal man would have two of; legs, arms, eyes, ears, and so on, Nokondi only has one. Every village in the East Highlands would speak of the Nokondi who lived nearby, most likely in a cave. He is a trouble-maker or at least a mischief maker and if something happened with no immediately obvious culprit, he would often get the blame. In just two generations before now he would have been thought of as being very real, but now he is considered by most to be a myth who is part of ancient tradition. Even so, you will no doubt be able to hear his name being spoken if you spend enough time in the village. No one would ever dare go into his cave and he was respected (maybe feared), but thought too, as a good presence for all the trouble that he caused, as though in some way he protected the village. As I listened to this explanation I couldn’t help wondering how I might behave differently if I knew I had someone looking after me, and how I might treat that person. Then I remembered that I do.

4 comments:

  1. Always a pleasure to read your blogs. Thank you for this reminder today. Debs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want you all to help me thank Dr. OBUDU for saving my life, i was diagnosed of herpes and at the same time i was 7 months pregnant, i was confused and i didn't know what to do until i meant a friend on the Internet who directed me to Dr. OBUDU, i did not believe it until i contacted the good man who was able to help me out of the situation with his herbs, it only cost me some little amount of money to cure herpes through Dr. OBUDU so i will also advice any body that needs help from him should contact him because i know you will also get cured of your disease. Thanks once again Dr OBUDU. Anyone who needs help having the same disease should contact him on his email OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM or call/whatsapp number +2347035974895

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr OBUDU have been a great doctor even know in the world, am here today to tell the world my testimony about how i was cured from herpes.i was having this deadly disease called herpes in my body for the past 6 years but now i know longer have it again. i never know that this disease have cure not until i meet someone know to the world called Dr OBUDU he cured me from herpes he have been great to me and will also be great to you too. i have work with other doctor but nothing come out. one day i did a research and came across the testimony of a lady that also have same disease and got cured by Dr OBUDU. then i contacted his email and told him my problem.he told me not to worry that he have the cure i didn't believe him when he said so because my doctor told me there is no cure.he told me i need to get a herbal medicine for the cure which i did and now am totally cured you can also be cured of any other diseases too if only you believe in him. contact him via email OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM you can also call or whatsapp him true his mobile number +2347035974895

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want you all to help me thank Dr. OBUDU for saving my life, i was diagnosed of herpes and at the same time i was 7 months pregnant, i was confused and i didn't know what to do until i meant a friend on the Internet who directed me to Dr. OBUDU, i did not believe it until i contacted the good man who was able to help me out of the situation with his herbs, it only cost me some little amount of money to cure herpes through Dr. OBUDU so i will also advice any body that needs help from him should contact him because i know you will also get cured of your disease. Thanks once again Dr OBUDU. Anyone who needs help having the same disease should contact him on his email OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM or call/whatsapp number +2347035974895

    ReplyDelete