Sunday 11 September 2016

Episode 24 - Cultured


I’m now half way through my language training and I’m really enjoying it. I’m slowly becoming able to string sentences together and it’s great now being able to have little conversations with the locals that I meet. The language learning is a huge benefit to me, but it is only part of all that I am learning on the course. I am also learning about Papua New Guinean culture. Once or twice a week we go out with one of our teachers who is a local to see what everyday life looks like to most Papua New Guineans, to meet and chat with the locals, and to learn about their culture. In the last two weeks we have learnt how to make a fire without matches in the traditional Papua New Guinean way, and how to make traditional bamboo instruments. It has been a wonderful experience from a point of interest and fascination, but it’s also been helpful as these things are more than just a history lesson, forming an important part of Papua New Guinean culture which Papua New Guineans are rightly proud of.

Making fire!

Through these lessons and by talking with people, I am starting to see more than just a culture which is worn on the outside, but am also starting to see glimpses of the world view that resides on the inside too. This is so vital to me, as speaking the same language is really just part of communicating properly, of making yourself truly understood and of understanding those who are talking to you and what they are saying. I recently had a conversation with a colleague of mine who was telling me about where he was from, somewhere in the Madang province. Later in the conversation he told me he had lived in Goroka (which is in East Highlands Province) all of his life. This confused me greatly and when I asked him about this apparent conflict, he insisted that both were absolutely true. After much confusion, I realised that to a Papua New Guinean, where you are from is much more than just where you have lived, but is about your heritage and where you are descended from, and that this is an important part of one’s identity. I thought that I completely understood it, but then I recently had a great conversation with a guy who not only knew this friend of mine but who, he told me, came from the same place as him. He then told me all about his culture from the Chimbu Province. “But my friend told me he came from Madang!” I said, both confused yet certain of myself. “well sort of” came the reply. You see, I had correctly identified that this village resided inside the Madang provincial administration area. However, where someone is from is more than just lines on a map. Yes this village was located in Madang, but the culture, heritage, history and even facial features of people from this village, was shared with those from Chimbu province, and so for him, he was from Chimbu. Because to a Papua New Guinean, where he is from is much more than just where he has lived or lines drawn on a map, it’s part of who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment