Sunday 30 April 2017

Episode 57 - The Process


Some weeks when I come to write my blog I know exactly what I want to say. More often than not however, I have no idea at all. I sit at my computer desperately thinking over the past week, searching for something worth saying. I think and I pray and eventually an idea comes to mind. I think about this idea and pray about it and it grows into something more tangible. I start to write, trying to build a story, trying to work out where the main sections of the story should go. Then when they’re in place I work out exactly how I’m going to tell the story, often deleting parts just to find exactly the right word, until in the end the blog is complete.

 
Weaving a Story Like a Papua New Guinean Basket...

As I sat thinking about this as I came to write this blog I realised how similar in some ways this is to life. Sometimes in life I know exactly what I want to happen and where I am going. More often than not however, I haven’t got a clue. Sure I often know the very big picture, like knowing that I want to write a blog, but everything else is just a mystery. Having a blank canvas can be scary and even overwhelming. Discerning where or even how to start can seem impossible. I can all too easily get distracted with all the possibilities that I fail to see what I already have to build upon. I’ve heard it said that God gives enough grace to deal with what will happen today, not all the things that could happen tomorrow. Remembering this helps me to remember to apply the process of blog writing to life, and to be patient, to take it step by step and allow God to lead me where He wants me, in the order that He wants. There is no point getting the wording just right if I am writing about the wrong thing! And patient I must be, because just as the stories of life are so much fuller than those of a blog post, so the development of them takes so much longer too! So I will wait patiently but with eager expectation to see the story that God is writing in my life come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment