Sunday 1 January 2017

Episode 40 - Happy New Year


Hello all, Nomes again since Joey is still unwell, though he’s now at home which means as well as me having Christmas dinner with Darren’s family on Christmas day, I also got to have another Christmas dinner  yesterday with my family. That’s a win!

My fiancé and I have a tradition of going to the midnight service on Christmas eve and walking back to his house along the canal. Two years ago we went from friends to boyfriend and girlfriend on that walk, and this year Darren planned on proposing to me on our anniversary. Then one day in about October I said that I didn’t fancy continuing the tradition since it meant I didn’t get much sleep before having to prepare Christmas dinner, and Darren’s proposal plan was scuppered.

Instead he proposed in November in the Lake District on the most amazing and romantic weekend of my life. When he told me about his original plan to propose on the walk back from church I was very happy indeed that I got the romantic getaway complete with afternoon tea, live jazz and sledging instead. But now I realise that if I hadn’t made that one off-hand comment, I still wouldn’t be engaged. The night he was supposed to propose, according to his original plan, he drove me back from the hospital and I cried all the way, so shocked and upset that my brother was ill and going to wake up Christmas morning in hospital. Instead of going to church that night he made me a light supper and a hot toddy and tucked me into bed.

I like to think that God, knowing that Joey would be in hospital Christmas day, and knowing my tendency to be easily overwhelmed, prompted me to make that comment so that when I needed Darren most, I would already have the security of knowing that 2017 promises hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment