Sunday 26 February 2017

Episode 48 - My Street


So the main reason I write this blog is to share with you all what my life in Papua New Guinea is like. However, now that I am back in England for the meantime, the blog has taken a serious plot twist. Some weeks there is plenty to write about still as my illness is a whole new mini adventure in itself. But other weeks I don’t really do anything and life in England is just normal and boring. But then I realised that it isn’t. Life in England is as different from life in Papua New Guinea as life in Papua New Guinea is different from life in England, and so I realised that this was a perfect opportunity for me to share what life in England is like with my family in Papua New Guinea, who I miss greatly and pray for and think about often. So this one is for you. Now I have only left the warmth of my house once this week for the short walk down my street into town, but at least I can share that with you.
My Street in Papua New Guinea


It’s winter here, so before leaving the house I have to make sure I’m wearing at least 4 jumpers before I then put my coat on (the average temperature at this time of year is about 6°C, but I feel the cold more than most, especially having got used to the weather in Papua New Guinea). I put my hat on and leave the house. I manage about three steps before an almighty wind blows my hat clean off my head (fortunately in the direction I was going), leaving me to slowly give chase lunging wildly at it with my walking stick, as though trying to spear a wild animal, and having about as much success as I think I might have, had I been. Eventually I stab it victoriously and start to put it on again before deciding that it might be best for me to put it in my pocket for now lest the whole thing happen again. I look up and start walking again only to realise my neighbour is sitting in his car watching me the whole time. I give him a sheepish smile and scuttle away as quickly as I can. As I continue down my street past the brick houses there is no dust on the ground, nor orange earth. In fact there is no earth at all except from the front gardens of the few of my neighbours who haven’t paved them over to provide extra space for their cars. I have soon made to the end of my street and into town where my journey ends. It was only a short walk, but that was my street.
My Street in England

No comments:

Post a Comment