Sunday 23 October 2016

Episode 30 - The Complete Package


As I’ve mentioned, last weekend a photographer/journalist from MAF came with David and I to watch us during a radio installation. One of the benefits of this, (along with coming away with awesome photos of me looking like I’m doing something clever and exciting) is that it provided a good opportunity to reflect on what brought me here and all that the short time here has brought to me, as I was questioned about my reasons for coming to PNG and what exactly it is that I do. As you may well know, I didn’t come to PNG because of a deep desire in my heart for a particular people, nor for a particular work to be done, but rather, because of a list. A list of what I felt God wanted me to be doing with my life. A list that was as broad as it was diverse. A list that perfectly matched the job description of the role that I now have. But it is one thing to read a job description, it is another to tell others about it, and it is yet another totally different thing to live it. This week marked five months of me being here in PNG and boy has it gone quickly. It some ways it feels like it was only yesterday that I arrived, but in other ways it feels like it’s been a lifetime with how settled I feel. Even so, with as much time as I have spent learning about the different jobs and roles that I will be fulfilling, it is only in the last two weeks after completing my language training that I have really started to take up the job description.

LuAnne can make even me gormlessly waiting around look cool!..


And I feel so blessed, because you never really know what I job description will look like in real life, but this once has lived up to all its promises. I sat in my office this week and thought about how great it was that I got to create and put in place a plan which will ensure our staff get the skills that they need. A plan which will hopefully long out live my time here, one that will continue to keep on giving. But along with this long term working towards the future, I get to work in the immediate too, as I knew that afternoon I would be going to the local hospital to help fix a steriliser. Work that would help people today, right here, right now, and work that let me “play” with electronics too. A job that was fulfilling and rewarding and also plain fun. I get to work alongside great colleagues, to help teach them, and to build great friendships. I’m in a job where people come to me with personal problems, and I can say; “lets pray about that”. I have a job where I get to start every day praising God, praying to Him and reading the bible with my colleagues. I have a job that connects me with people so that I can spend my spare time showing the Jesus film who don’t know the story of His life, and so that I can share God’s word and encourage groups of Christians. This Job not only promised all I could want, it also gave me all I could want. Or should I say God not only promised to give me everything I could want, but He gave it to me too. And He always does, because He has given us Himself. All we have to do is follow Him.



P.S. I'm going away next weekend, so next weeks blog will be published on Tuesday instead of Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment