Sunday 16 October 2016

Episode 29 - Remote (out of) Control


Friday morning I was due to do my first installation of a radio in a remote location. All week we had been preparing ourselves for it. We packed all of the equipment that we would install. Then we unpacked it all just so that we could pack it again to make sure we really did have everything. We went through all of my tools to make sure I had everything I could possibly need, whilst making sure I wasn’t carrying anything that I didn’t. This process was actually much harder than it sounds. As I mentioned, this was my first install, so I didn’t know what I would need and what I wouldn’t. Fortunately I had an expert to help me pack. Unfortunately it seemed that he had a different name for every tool that has ever existed.  This became abundantly clear after a very confused conversation about walking spanners. It turns out that adjustable spanners are known locally as walkabout spanners. This was promptly followed by me training to explain what a mole wrench was. Half way through my explanation I realized that I was talking to someone who had no idea what a mole was. It turned out that imparting this piece of information helped in no way whatsoever in achieving my goal, but just served to confuse the matter even further.

 
Packing
Thursday afternoon came and we were all prepared, although I have to admit that I was still nervous. I wasn’t on my own though.  David who has six years’ experience was coming with me. Not just David, but LuAnne an MAF photographer was coming along too, which perhaps wasn’t so comforting, knowing that every mistake I made might be caught on camera and that my very confused face might make an appearance in an MAF magazine sometime soon. Despite this potential danger, LuAnne and David did make excellent company. So all looked good to go and we were set to leave to our homes to get a goodnights rest before leaving in the morning, when we got a phone call from the hangar. The little tiny plane which was scheduled to take us in the morning had taken some damage landing on a remote airstrip and would be unable to take us, so we would have to take a flight out the next day or maybe the afternoon if we were really lucky. That wouldn’t give us enough time to install the radio before our flight back. Although now I come to think of it, they weren’t certain that that flight would run either. In fact, they were uncertain about any of their flights. This uncertainty continued right up to us getting aboard our flight at about mid-day, which probably gave us just enough time to complete the installation before our flight back, a flight which was still far less than certain to occur.

What ever you do, there's always someone watching...
Twenty short stunning scenery filled minutes later and we arrived at Guwasa. We got off the plane, waved good bye to our bags as they were taken to wherever it was that we would be spending the night, we ate a couple of crackers for lunch and we started work installing the radio at the local school. The work was fun and incredibly fulfilling. We had lots of help from the locals and much batter ensued. And yet despite all this, the work still makes a pretty boring read, so I’ll skip over the details. We worked hard and before the sun had set and the rain fell, we had managed to fix the solar panel and the regulator and wire them up. We even manage to fit the roof mounting for the radio mast putting us in a really strong position for the next day. Satisfied with our work, we headed down to the teachers housing and shared a delicious and very filling meal before setting up to show the Jesus film in the school playground. About three hundred locals came to watch and it seemed to make a real impact. After chatting with the locals and packing everything away, we crashed at the headmasters house and grabbed a little sleep before getting up with the light, clearing our stuff out and setting back to work.


It's surprisingly hard to take a good picture of putting up a mast...
With just a break for coffee and crackers we had managed put up the mast, hoist the antenna and install the radio by one. Just an hour later we had tested the radio and taught the teachers how to use it. With everything done we celebrated with a Papaya generously given to us by the teachers. Victory never tasted so sweet. I had barely swallowed my last morsel before to our great surprise we heard our plane coming in. We grabbed all of our things and ran to the airstrip. We said our goodbyes and took off just before the rain came in. Everything might not have gone exactly to our plans, but it went even better than we had hoped and our frequent prayers helped remind us whose plan it was that would prevail.
The airstrip

2 comments:

  1. So good to see the reality of your plans. Good to hear too that your things have arrived safely, they seem to have taken the scenic route! You sound as though you are beginning to find your feet. Exciting to see how God is using you. Thank you for the guidance on what to pray for. Your situation is so far removed from my experience that it is hard to imagine what you need!
    Carolyn Driessen
    West Derby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people have observed remote managed cars in a playground or going down their streets, LED Planes but few-people have actually seen issues the plane versions.

    ReplyDelete