Sunday 19 June 2016

Episode 12 - Food, Film and Fun

I’m sat cross legged on the concrete floor of a small bamboo house. I and the other eight people here fill the small room comfortably. From the dim light cast by the oil lamp in the centre of the room, I can see before me one of two large bowls of boiled leaves and I am prompted to take a white ball that is being offered to me. I oblige and as I do I come to realise that what I am now cupping in my hands is a ball of rice. Not entirely sure what to do next, I pause and look around, desperately hoping that someone else will lead by example. Everyone in the room looks towards the two new visitors to their country in eager expectation.


When I say dimly lit...


Fortunately for me, most of that expectation falls to my Australia friend Anthony as he has not been in the country long, and he is only visiting for a short time. This is fortunate for two reasons; the first being that I don’t really like being the centre of attention, particularly when I’m not sure how to behave, and secondly, because my English instincts might just have driven me to be ever so polite and to muddle through and consequently quite possibly make a fool of myself. Anthony on the other hand, as I have already mentioned, is Australian. As such, he just got straight to the point and asked: “what exactly am I supposed to do with this? Do I eat a little then pass it around?” By their reaction, I suspect that perhaps our hosts were expecting this question, if not, then they still certainly didn’t mind it.
The setting for our meal (several hours earlier)

In fact they were more than happy to explain their etiquette, and seemed delighted at the opportunity to share their culture with us. And we too, were delighted to share in their culture with them. They also seemed to take great pleasure in watching me try to strip a fern of its leaves and then after several failed attempts demonstrating just how easy it was. This cycle repeated more than just a few times! It was such an honour to be there that night. To share in what was a normal meal to them, to share in part of their lives and to come to understand more about their lifestyle and traditions, from tasting every type of kumul (leaves) that you can imagine, to learning how they cook their food, to being taught their etiquette about women not walking in front of men, but behind them, especially at meal times. We were so well treated and looked after from our hosts, well beyond what we had expected when we had arranged to come to Watabung.


The village river

This as you may have gathered my now was not a normal Saturday evening in Papua New Guinea for me. I had travelled to a rural village with some friends from CRMF to show the Jesus film there. They do not have the equipment in Watabung to do this themselves, so we brought all of the equipment and set it up in the local church, for the people of the village to come and hear (and see) about the life of Jesus (in Tok Pisin). I find it some amazing and encouraging to be working with these friends who love God and their people so much that they think nothing of spending their Saturday travelling and working to make this happen, so that people would have this opportunity to hear about God. It was a very popular night too, with the church overflowing with people and lots of people brought to tears as they experienced the life of Jesus in a way they had never been able to before.
Welcome to the cinema
It was a tiring day, but one with rich reward. It was a day filled with new experiences, beautiful scenery, good company, lots of laughter, deeper understanding, and the privilege of knowing that I was able to be part in helping people have a chance to come hear about what God has done for them. In this country more than ever, it seems that if you give a little without expectation, then you receive much, but then God does so love to bless us, and I am very grateful of how He blesses me!


No comments:

Post a Comment