Sunday 30 July 2017

Episode 70 - Words of Wisdom

This week I was talking with friends about how odd English sayings and expressions are (after using the expression "someone walked over my grave" to their complete confusion) and this started me thinking about some of the expressions I had heard during my time in Papua New Guinea and so I thought that would share some of them with you this week...

Work won't run away

Knowledge is only a rumour until it's in the muscle

Plant a Banana (meaning going to the toilet)

Number eleven (meaning a runny nose)

A saying from the Cassowary to her chicks:  Whatever falls from above is always the fruit of the tree, take and eat, but avoid anything from the ground moving towards you, because it will bring you harm.

Time can not wait. It goes and goes completely.

Six pocket (Cargo shorts)

I must have heard hundreds of expressions, but that seems to be all I can remember right now. Please tell me any you might know and I'll update the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment