Sunday 6 November 2016

Episode 32: The Art of Relationship


Right from the very beginning of being here, it has been very clear to me that the sense of community and friendship here in Papua New Guinea is very different to that back in England. I have often watched in awe as two Papua New Guineans relate to each other in ways that two Brits never would, or as someone cares for someone else in a way that would never naturally occur to me. It can be very heart-warming to watch, but when it happens to me, it can be as confusing as it is touching – which it is greatly on both counts, even when it’s just little things. This week two Papua New Guinean friends of mine who don’t know each other and both of whom I hadn’t seen me for a while, sent me a text message completely independently of each other. The resultant text conversation was almost exactly the same. It began by them saying “gutnait lo yu brata” (literally translates to; “goodnight to you brother”). So I replied goodnight in return and asked how they were. They told me that they were fine and asked me how I was, and so I replied that I was well. Now to my British brain, this was the polite conversation that served as the platform on which to present the purpose of the conversation, after all, I do come from a country where “how are you?” is a greeting not a question, and where no-one says what they actually mean.
One of my Bratas and I
And so I waited with baited breath to see what would come next, but to my surprise, nothing came. After this happened with the first friend I was a little worried that I might have said something to upset him or forgotten something that I was supposed to do, but after the second conversation I started to realise there was something more to what was happening. So the next day I asked my friend in work; “what’s going on? Did I do something wrong?” He gently laughed and reassured me that all was well and that this was quite a normal interaction. I needed a little more convincing, so he explained to me that it was; “tok halo tasol”; just saying hello. To my mind, at first, this seemed crazy! To say hello, just to say hello! It seemed to have no reason, to have no purpose. But it seems that many Papua New Guineans naturally understand about relationships things that I don’t seem to easily get. You see saying hello was the purpose. In my culture it is very easy to be task driven to always be busy doing things, trying to get something done. But here it seems that it should be obvious that people are what really matter, and furthermore there seems to be a much greater understanding of how to relate to each other well than I have ever experienced before. It was just simply understood by my friends that just saying hello is a key part to maintaining a good friendship. It didn’t matter what was said, what mattered was that I knew that they were thinking of me, and in turn, that I was thinking of them. That is how a friendship is kept from dying and it’s a beautiful thing to have someone do that for you.

4 comments:

  1. I want you all to help me thank Dr. OBUDU for saving my life, i was diagnosed of herpes and at the same time i was 7 months pregnant, i was confused and i didn't know what to do until i meant a friend on the Internet who directed me to Dr. OBUDU, i did not believe it until i contacted the good man who was able to help me out of the situation with his herbs, it only cost me some little amount of money to cure herpes through Dr. OBUDU so i will also advice any body that needs help from him should contact him because i know you will also get cured of your disease. Thanks once again Dr OBUDU. Anyone who needs help having the same disease should contact him on his email OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM or call/whatsapp number +2347035974895

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr OBUDU have been a great doctor even know in the world, am here today to tell the world my testimony about how i was cured from herpes.i was having this deadly disease called herpes in my body for the past 6 years but now i know longer have it again. i never know that this disease have cure not until i meet someone know to the world called Dr OBUDU he cured me from herpes he have been great to me and will also be great to you too. i have work with other doctor but nothing come out. one day i did a research and came across the testimony of a lady that also have same disease and got cured by Dr OBUDU. then i contacted his email and told him my problem.he told me not to worry that he have the cure i didn't believe him when he said so because my doctor told me there is no cure.he told me i need to get a herbal medicine for the cure which i did and now am totally cured you can also be cured of any other diseases too if only you believe in him. contact him via email OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM you can also call or whatsapp him true his mobile number +2347035974895

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you all to help me thank Dr. OBUDU for saving my life, i was diagnosed of herpes and at the same time i was 7 months pregnant, i was confused and i didn't know what to do until i meant a friend on the Internet who directed me to Dr. OBUDU, i did not believe it until i contacted the good man who was able to help me out of the situation with his herbs, it only cost me some little amount of money to cure herpes through Dr. OBUDU so i will also advice any body that needs help from him should contact him because i know you will also get cured of your disease. Thanks once again Dr OBUDU. Anyone who needs help having the same disease should contact him on his email OBUDU.MIRACLEHERBALHOME@GMAIL.COM or call/whatsapp number +2347035974895

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931.ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA

    ReplyDelete